Friday, November 22, 2013

Duck Invasion

During the two weeks each summer that I was stationed at Nana Summer Camp, an afternoon trip to Woodlawn Cemetery was always in the works. We'd grab the stale bread bag, Grampa and head out on a short drive to the cemetery and pond. Like in this photo, the invading ducks could be quite aggressive, but luckily hiding behind my grandmother's old lady dress was a good refuge. 
My grandfather has been gone an amazing 53 years this past summer. I still remember walking into the living room on Stevens Avenue and seeing my Mom, grandmother and aunts all in tears. Probably, the first bit of information that I ever received in my life that I just couldn't process.
It was my first brush with death. 
I think of that man often.
Mostly, when I see scenes like this.

8 comments:

  1. It is interesting to me and obviously comforting to you to be reminded of a loved one by this pastoral scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My memories flash back when I smell pipe tobacco.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our spirits have special connections sometimes ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. A tribute to him and to you that such a beautiful scene brings him back to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A sweet memory of spending time with your grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The ducks seem to walk formal and elegantly in this image...
    God bless you!
    Cezar

    ReplyDelete
  7. enough to give you a lifelong phobia of ducks

    ReplyDelete