Sunday, November 3, 2013

Seconds

It was my second choice.
I was going to use this image for theme day, but I thought better of it. 
This is a shot taken at the bottom of the Portland Observatory, looking straight up. The building has been around since 1807 and is the last surviving maritime signal tower in the United States.  Before radio communication made it obsolete, the tower, standing 86 feet and octagonal in shape, was used to signal ships with both a telescope and various flags hoisted to provide information for and about approaching ships. Today, it is maintained by Portland Landmarks and is open throughout the late spring and summer for tours. I've heard that neighborhood children were once allowed free rein and could play all day up and down its 7 stories. That would have been something. This 'playground' would have put most of my forts and treehouses to shame. Since my first trip up the stairs on a high school field trip, I made the stair climb a few more times.
What a view!
As you might imagine, it's the best 'take' on the city.

*I took this photograph in a strong, afternoon sun. It's a bit funky how the bottom got rather washed out in color.

17 comments:

  1. I would have loved that as a child!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The view must be spectacular from there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could also watch for approaching pirate ships or Viking long boats from this tower. Interesting perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting perspective. The afternoon sun has washed out the color in more than one photograph. I love structures like this and am glad it is preserved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting to be able to play in a lighthouse..now of course it would be consideed too dangerous, seriously I don't know how we all survived :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting that the children played in the seven story lighthouse. Of course children could take care of themselves back then, What has happened with today's children -- too protected I think. Nice shot -- like the funky coloration -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  8. How super it would be to sit up top and watch the boats!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great angle - you always find a perfect perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Since I have fear of heights, I wonder if I could make it up to the top. Those enclosed walls ought to help--I couldn't see how high up I was getting until I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Elenka's comment was removed by a blog administrator? Ooooooh, there is an untold tale here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I told him to. I couldn't get a link to work....
      No juicy story here, Jack.

      Delete
  12. It could be a very modern Buddhist stupa. Broadcast to the ships: om mane padme hum.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks like it is in excellent condition. Great shot!

    ReplyDelete