Saturday, November 2, 2013

Downhill

The Hill is a prominent piece of real estate at one end of the city. If you arrive there, you will be standing atop the highest point in the city and looking over the harbor and out across Casco Bay. It's called the Eastern Promenade, Eastern Prom for short. It is a feature that, if you are visiting the city, you really must see. Arrive at the other side of the city, and you'll be looking out over the Fore River on the Western Prom. Prom to Prom--- kind of distinctive, if you ask me. Another interesting mark of the city can only really be seen via a map. The city's design looks to be in the shape of a forearm and fist. 
Take a look at the link below. 
The nun, that first showed it to me in fifth grade after school one day (don't ask), said it was because Portland was a tough city?
Got that right. 

http://www.mappery.com/Portland-Maine-City-Map

16 comments:

  1. Happy mural next to that Queen Ann style house. Looks like a fine neighborhood. Perhaps the shape of the city has more to do with geography than the nature of the residents. Thanks for your comment on my blog. Will we be seeing your garages?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like that - tough town. tough 'tude. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it does look like and arm and fist. Very interesting indeed. I love that colorful building in your photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great composition, BM! Super lines and colors. And I'm on the level when I say that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yeah. A very muscular forearm and a big ol' clenched fist. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the whimsy; this looks like an illo in a children's book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And those nuns can be tough so they know!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Portland, a 'tough city'? Really? I didn't know that. . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. You could start a long discussion on the "tough city" theme. Why, my town was so tough the nuns wore shinguards and the ice cream had pebbles instead of chocolate chips. Etc. etc.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would think that you've seen The Hill go through some changes since you were a kid...but especially in the last few years? I love the 2 different characters of the 2 Proms...
    you've made me homesick...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice colorful image today, Birdman. I'll bet you could come up with quite a series if you spent an afternoon walking around this neighborhood with your camera.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that Jack has the right idea; the neighborhood would probably offer many splendid photo ops.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with Jack... so many possibilities! This is a very cool shot when you click and enlarge it, nice one Birdman.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cool! Like the map, dig the mural and the vividness of the picture itself. Question, if this is the highest point in the city then what is the part going up to the right considered....mildly higher point of the city?

    ReplyDelete
  15. And that's a really cool mural on that wall!

    ReplyDelete