Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Baked Beans

Go to the your local grocery store and load up on water and batteries! Lock up the women and children, and head to your storm shelter. Why? Birdman's on the loose in the kitchen again. Sunday, I made a batch of Jacob's Cattle baked beans and some homemade bread. Growing up, if it was a Saturday, it was a day of the aroma of baked beans wafting throughout the rooms. Pinto, Kidney, Jacob's Cattle, Navy. Take your pick. Mom prepared the best. We also had fried dough. No, not the sugaring item you find at local fairgrounds, but hunks of bread dough, about the size of rolls, flattened out and cooked in oil on the stovetop. Mmmmm! Delicious and filled with memories. Sunday, I did my best. I think Mom would have loved that meal!

22 comments:

  1. Feel free to email me a slice of that bread. That should work shouldn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We didn't eat it late Sunday night when it came out of the oven (due to a late start in the decision to make it), so all day Monday I couldn't wait to get home and have it for supper.
    It was fabulous!!!!!
    Thanks Birdman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In West Virginia, where my mother was from, a visit there would bring out a large iron skillet in which was "pan bread" and a cereal bowl of fresh churned butter. Wow. Talk about good eating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great memories! And that food looks better than good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want a scoop of that pot and several slices of the bread !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. de belles couleurs et une bonne gestion de la lumiere, j'aime beaucoup

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love to have some of that! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can almost smell that fresh bread! Your mom would be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my goodness! please pass me a bowl w/ a hunk o' bread!

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful baking birdman, a boy bounteous in beans.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Food is really a storehouse of memories -- it is stores in most of our senses. Nice post -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ugh that is cruel. I'm sooooo hungry just now and the fridge is almost empty!

    If you have a minute, please email me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Heck, I would have loved that meal. What happened to my invitation?

    ReplyDelete
  14. The salivary glands are in overdrive here!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can close my eyes and dream about the smell of the bread, but what really captures my imagination are the baked beans! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bravo for you, then. My cooking skills have withered like an unused muscle. The damn photography habit keeps getting in the way of other stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a 'potent' meal Birdman, the beans part anyway!!

    ReplyDelete