Saturday, February 18, 2012

Glass Sparkly

Through the glass sparkly is what we're looking at here. It's a look through a doctor's office front window next to where we lived on Stevens Avenue. The site used to be a wooden duplex with the Chase family on one side and their grandparents on the other. There were three kids in the family, two boys and a girl. When they moved in that summer, it was exciting, because it meant more players for our pick-up games of backyard baseball, tackle football and after dark games of hide-and-seek. They moved Downeast after about 3-4 years, and soon after we heard that the sister was killed tragically in a car accident. After that, Mom befriended the extremely thin grandmother, who spent most days inside her apartment amid wooden chairs, while her husband worked as a cook at a restaurant in the city. Kids were often cruel to the couple, but after hearing of their plight from Mom, we looked on them kindly. They had so much less then us. For a young kid of 12 , poverty and want were things I never touched.

15 comments:

  1. This is a beautifully written and evocative piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The things that you remember and keep with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are still way too many people in that situation today!

    Re your comment on the blimp: Could be. I figured 'cause I saw the thing ev'rytime I was on the golf course, they were recording my swing to pass on to posterity, or, alternately, to Tiger Woods.

    No?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post. It is strange how we see people differently when we know more who they are and what they deal with in life. Your photo is a perfect companion to the thought.

    Darryl and Ruth :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH THANK YOU FOR REMOVING WORD VERIFICATION!!!!! GOD BLESS YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A well written recount of days gone by. Very touching.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is something about these glass blocks that I just love. When I was a kid, I had a Leggo building set that was composed of all kinds of blocks for building houses and other buildings. It included some clear blocks so you could create these type of windows. I always built these windows into everything I created.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It seems there are many people in this country that have so much and cannot relate at all to those who struggle. Your mom taught you a valuable lesson.
    V

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Virginia, I think it should be something parents enlighten their young ones to as they grow up hopefully into caring adults! Lovely post Birdman and I really think you would enjoy having a cup of 'java' at my marina, it's a fab spot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tough story today. Glad to see that word verification go.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that shot... sad story with a kind end...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I once lived in a house that had this glass on the exterior wall of the shower. I always felt really strange taking a shower in broad daylight!

    ReplyDelete