Thursday, February 16, 2012

Book Club

I joined my first Book Club last month. Me and about 40 women. Ok, I'm exaggerating a hair. There were eight in attendance besides myself. There are about 15 or so others on the email list, but I'm sure most couldn't get through the 500 pages or so. We read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. All readers enjoyed the book immensely, and we shared good talk and lots of laughter. I was told we were to all bring a snack to share. I had planned to blow off this part of the assignment, but at the last minute I felt guilty and decided to make my scrumptious pumpkin cookies, loaded with white chocolate chips and walnuts. I'm glad I did. Now, I've never been confused with Einstein(except a bit visually) when it comes to doing math problems, but... as I perused around the table at the number of faces and back to the middle where the food was placed, something didn't 'add up'. Lots of faces, few snacks. Hummmmm. Interesting! Now, if this was a room of men reading and snacking, I'd have to experience the 'loaves and fishes' miracle to eliminate the the munchies, but a room of women and books? Oh well, the next read is Jamie Ford's The Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. What do you think of it? Should I read?

16 comments:

  1. j'aime bien cette photo, c'est comme ca que je vois la lecture, décontracté avec un chapeau de paille dans un rocking-chair ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great hand with a creative band around it, and I like it atop the books. The novel you are will read in your book club is about an interesting and shameful period of our nation's history. I read it long ago so my memory is a bit dim; however, I recall being a little disappointed about it: unremarkable writing style, somewhat simplistic, I guess. I wouldn't dismiss it since I've heard others speak well of it. It's a fast read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see some fat books in that stack . . .maybe too 'weighty' for me. Who chooses the books for book club - does each person take a turn?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved the book; I think that Jane Eyre should be on the list in the not-too-distant future! The snacks were minimal, which, to me, was rather sad! Birdman may not know how we chose books . . . we meet at the beginning of the school year (it's a staff book club) and collectively decide. We try to select all the titles for the year so that people have ample opportunity to "find" the books. The selection after The Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet is going to be a self-selected self-help book . . . now that Birdman is a "member", this could become interesting!! :-)

      Delete
  4. I have no idea, I haven't heard about that author. Have them try reading Matt Ruff next time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read it so I can't advise but, I'll take one of those cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't understand why there are not more men in the book club? -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not familiar with this book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I attended one book club. Myself and one other were the only guys. It was not a great event.

    I thought Hotel was a good book. Seattle is itself a major character.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like the Book Club is a great group to join. I'd never get a long book read quickly....(Am not much of a reader)...

    Bet your pumpkin cookies were delicious. Bet you were the 'hit' of the party!!!!!
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I had more time to read. Lucky you, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never heard of the second book so no opinion. So what's with these cheapskate ladies not bringing snacks? Maybe next time you should bring a 12 pack of something sudsy and a huge bag of Doritos (and maybe a DVD of great Super Bowl games).

    ReplyDelete
  12. You make me think of the movie "Jane Austen Book Club", a man, 5 women!I hope you have as much pleasure as they have in the story!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those book club ladies are just after your scrumptious pumpkin cookies Birdman you have to watch them! Both my sisters belong to a book club, you wouldn't catch me joining in a fit, mostly because I really don't care what other people think of the books I read haha!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've heard good things about "Hotel." Just think, soon you will be one of the girls.

    ReplyDelete