Wednesday, February 29, 2012

My Pretty!

At the end of one of the docks on the Portland waterfront, I found this building. At least I think it's a building. Come to think of it, our forts we built behind the ESSO station, next to Leo's house and down behind the cemetery are looking pretty good next to this patchwork. That was the first thing that came to mind when I saw it. My second thought was where was Margaret Hamilton? You know, one of Maine's most famous movie stars. Drawing a blank? Look at that bike with the basket on the back. What does it remind you of? Hint. Hint. There was a small dog riding in the rear basket in the movie. Think rainbow. Think Scarecrow. Think Tinman. Think Cowardly Lion. Think Tornado. Yup! Ms. Hamilton was the 'wicked witch' in the movie classic, The Wizard of Oz. My brush with celebrity? Mom, her sister Millie and I saw her eating lobster at a Newagen restaurant once. My Pretty!

18 comments:

  1. une belle photo et une belle compo

    ReplyDelete
  2. With this post you drove us somewhere over the rainbow...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The basket on this bike needs to be a bit more retro for Margaret Hamilton's ride over the rainbow. I wonder how many people have seen that movie classic. And how many times each of these individuals have seen the movie. Do you think it is the most watched movie classic on record? Incidentally, I LOVE the vocab. word today: bosky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know the soundtrack!The song is so beautiful! :)
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Come here, my pretty, come here . . . Poor Ms. Hamilton, forever after seen as wicked . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a patchwork quilt made out of wood!
    Happy Leap Day, Birdman!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's one scary lookin' structure. I wonder if any little boys (or girls) double-dog dare each other to knock on the door...just to see what happens. Btw, love the music during the bicycle seen in the Wizard of Oz -- classic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the texture in this shot. Wonder if my dogs would stay in the crate on the back of the bike.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this really does look like what is 'behind the curtain'.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks more like a construction site than a storefront -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  11. From the looks of the place, one would wait a really long time for that attendant! Or maybe the attendant is riding the bike. Maybe Ms. Hamilton has come back!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I knew exactly who you meant the minute I looked at that bike!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Let's read some more about what is going on in this flimsy and unfriendly structure . . . what happened after you waited for the attendant?

    ReplyDelete