Sunday, February 5, 2012

Workboxes

I stopped over to my buddy Paul's office the other morning, where he repairs computers. Here, on his front desk, are a couple of toolboxes. We've been friends since 6th grade and surprisingly survived high school and racing his Dad's Wildcat around the winding boulevard. He's one of the thousands and thousands of pieces to the jigsaw puzzle scattered across the table of life that when pieced together is me. In my youth, the puzzle had few complicated pieces. Putting me together was easy... pretty simple. These days, the pieces confound me, confuse me and astound me, and I've even lost some very valuable pieces. There are a lot more sections, a lot more segments. Everyday, it seems, I locate another parcel. Who am I really? I'm still searching and looking for the life I'm living now. It's the most complicated struggle I've ever faced, but I'm game. Want to think about all that was ever you and where you are headed? See the movie Hugo. It'll get you wondering about all that is you.

Speaking of GAME-
It's Super Bowl Sunday. I've watched bits and pieces of all the previous 45 games. I'm not a big Super Bowl party guy either. I enjoy it alone or with another. Dad and I watched SB1 cheering on the Packers. Today, I'll be in my family room maybe alone, maybe with J- watching the teams play it out. It should be a good one. Stop all the talking. It's time to play!

20 comments:

  1. You are so fortunate to have grown up and still know all those childhood friends. My life has been scattered around the country. Childhood friends are a memory. Enjoy your game day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Live is too short to worry about who you really are i think. I will check out that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We loved Hugo, the book and the movie... and I can't wait for the Super Bowl this evening! Some legacies will be made tonight, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I am very interested in the pieces of my jigsaw, at other times I'm not. As I get older and older (damn it!) I'm less interested and just want to live in the moment.

    After growing up in Green Bay, I am an avid (fanatic?!) football fan, despite its awful violence. Packers SHOULD be in the Bowl this year, but they sure defeated themselves in the play-offs, right?! Don't care who wins this year yet I'll still watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love to see other's toolboxes, workspaces. . . my own pieces are a bigga jumble, scattered over half the world. . .or, put another way, all right here inside 'me.'

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sheeesh! Enjoy the game Birdman, if you watch it that is..and thanks for the movie advice, I wasn't sure about Hugo, but now think I'll chuff along to see it! Although I'm little scared..it did seem to make you do an awful of 'thinking' haha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for a beautiful post Birdman!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i liked your analogy of the jigsaw that is you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice post. I still haven't seen Hugo but it's on my "to see" list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still have only one friend from my childhood left.She's precious, as last witness of this time for me.This being said, who am I, who are we, the answer will come only the last day of our life, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Super Bowl Sunday to you. May the best team win!!! I personally am for the Giants --but I truly just hope it is a good game. Anxious to see some great commercials also!!!

    Wish we were as organized with all of our tools as your friend...

    Love your thoughts about the jigsaw puzzle... That's our lives, isn't it????
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. A thoughtful post for the day! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The metaphor of a puzzle for one's life is interesting. And I think you can take it a bit further: the puzzle never will be put together because as some pieces go missing for one reason or another, other pieces come into being which changes the very nature of the puzzle.

    I'm beginning to think that living way up there in Maine is one of the biggest pieces to your life's puzzle. And fitting that into the whole would explain a great deal! Yes?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I yam what I yam what I yam. I don't worry too much about how I got here.

    Go Patriots!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree, all the talking about it gets dreadfully old... let's play for already!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So wonderful that you can drop by on childhood friends. Not much in the way of superbowl action today here.....

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a couple of these little toolkits at the office. We used to do our own computer repairs. Now no one has time and the technology is often too complex.

    I don't see my life as an assortment of pieces. More like a river with many contributing streams, each of which imperceptibly changes the river. One day it will reach the ocean and will no longer be identifiable.

    BTW, our condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It must be wonderful to live near so many people you were friendly with when you were a child.

    ReplyDelete