Friday, February 24, 2012

Moving Picture

Early in 1995, the skating scenes from the movie The Preacher's Wife were filmed here on the ice of Deering Oaks, with the line of apartments of Park Avenue in the background. At the time, my Dad was the Commander of the Harold T. Andrews American Legion Post on Deering Street and got word that they wanted to film scenes inside the Post to use as the church's office. When they arrived for a look, Dad gave them the grand tour of the entire building. The directors apparently loved all the doorway woodwork and the beautiful wainscoting throughout the first floor rooms, and the deal was done. They filmed in the building and at the Oaks for about a week. Dad said he never got a chance to meet Whitney, because in the true diva tradition, her handlers were all over the place and kept the public away from her. He did, however, get a chance to meet and shake Denzel Washington's hand. They talked for a few minutes about a love of the Boys' Clubs of America, something close to the heart of both the actor and Dad. I was reminded of this again last week during all the hoopla surrounding the demise of diva Whitney. And yes, Dad got a cameo role in the movie. His big screen debut was a 5 second shot of him in a soup line, with some friends, shot inside the Post. A star was born!

16 comments:

  1. Interesting story. It's fascinating where movie scenes are really shot. Another great memory, Birdman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story! I love your Dad's initiative and starring role. Denzel Washington seems to be a fine man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew you have some acting in the blood, being quite the ham thou is!

    Fun story.

    Re your comment on The Three Stooges...I can understand you and Jack, but moi? I don't think so! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a neat experience. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure your Dad was a 'star' even before his 'movie break' Birdman!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andy Warhol said that all of us were going to have 5 minutes of fame.For your father, he was right!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bird, you have the best stories! I"m glad your dad had his 5 seconds of fame. What a thrill.
    Stay warm my friend.
    V

    ReplyDelete
  8. Denzel Washington! -- one of my favorite actors! -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cool story. I love brushes with fame. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i'll have to get that in my netflix queue.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have a little double entendre here today with the title "moving" picture. The picture and your story are moving in several ways.

    I will be honored to sit with Lowell and you, so long as I get the single chair.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved that movie. I will have to watch it again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome story, I'm a big fan of Denzel Washington! How cool!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great story. I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete