Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Water Memory

I am the oldest and therefore was special to this man. Grampa. He spoiled me rotten! One sunny, July day, I asked, no begged him, to take me fishing and to my surprise said, “Yes!. Let’s go.” So off we went in his black Chevy heading towards Portland. We stopped at water, I now know as Stroudwater Village, near the waterfall that is still there today. Grampa brought out his tackle box and spread lures and worms out across the grass. He showed be how to attach a worm to the sharp hook and all the other little nuiances to the game of fishing. It was a fun afternoon, and we even sat back and enjoyed a picnic lunch packed by Nana. As the afternoon waned, I finally got my ‘bite’. As aI reeled my catch in, I was some excited. However, disappointment soon ruled as the my ‘fish’ broke the surface and was unbelievably just a an old, black buckled boot, filled with disgusting slimy yellow mud. Yuk! It was a day! Etched in my memory forever. Whenever I drive by these falls, the image of this man always echoes back to me. True love.

21 comments:

  1. Fishing for boots with grandpa! Nice walk down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A nice reminiscence! I had to learn to fish from my dad. And he would get frustrated with me 'cause I would keep bringing in the line every few minutes to check if a fish was on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. cette cascade de glace est magnifique

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, how fortunate you were to have such loving grandparents. I try to be one myself since my kids grew up without grandparents. What a loss for them. Your story is easy to imagine because of your details. thanks for sharing your memories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So nice to have a place close by to remind you of your lovely grandfather :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Despite the boot, you had a great day together, one to remember. In Chicago I had to go fishing alone or with my young friends. Never met either grandfather. You are lucky, Birdman.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great story and great image. I wonder if the water there ever freezes as it's going over the dam. Now there would be an interesting shot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So fortunate you were to have such a grandpa. How about a photo of grandpa. -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  9. My grandfather was a fisherman, and he tought me to fish too! but it was on the boat, on the sea. One day, we caught ... a bike!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful waterfall... AND--you do have some great fishing memories with your grandpa near that waterfall. That's awesome!!!! Glad you have such great memories. I would have loved to have seen your eyes when you pulled up that old boot. ha
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember fishing with my dad as our dog ran around barking at the water and anything that came by. We never caught a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A joyful day and a memory to boot. Enjoyed the post

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll bet that is some cold water. Great shot.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful waterfall and I know that you treasure the memories, nasty boot and all. If you want to catch some fish, come this way and we'll find some largemouth bass...

    Bises,
    Genie

    ReplyDelete
  15. a tad frozen in time.

    great shot!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great memory, great photo. The ice makes a wonderful pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing your memories, lights from a kid's heart!
    hugs
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ha, good one! I always wonder why old boots end up in creeks and ponds, and on telephone wires. I keep mine on my feet for some reason.

    ReplyDelete