Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Front Steps

During the winter just after snowstorms, Leo, Eddie and I, shovels on shoulders, often hit the streets looking for work. Shoveling sidewalks and walkways was our game. We found the side streets of Tremaine, Elmwood and Waverly some of the more lucrative stops to find work. They were streets on Leo's evening paper route, so he had some knowledge of where we were stopping. We weren't fools though. The long driveways on certain houses were left for others. Front steps, walkways and sidewalks were where we made our money. We usually got between a buck or two each per stop, depending on our time and snow moved. In light snow and three of us furiously throwing snow, we could make some serious spending cash that never saw the marble floors of local banks. There were some casualties though. One 'hit' home to me when Eddie's shovel went astray and caught me just above my left eye. I was tough though. A little snow on the mitten, dabbing the eye area a few times and all the was left was a trace of bloody snow at my feet... and we were off to the next stop.

22 comments:

  1. merci pour cette histoire de ton enfance ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this photo - I'm a sucker for doors, and this one so splendidly set off by the vestibule and the snowy stairs - just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a shame kids are discouraged from these activities nowadays. Too much molly coddling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you scoped out your customers. And I'm quite enchanted by that door.

    ReplyDelete
  5. trying to catch up on what i've missed. happy belated birthday to your sister. great vest. love that glass. and what a wonderfully rumpled blanket of snow. do you have a little scar there where the shovel met the brow?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shoveling snow was my least favorite chore when I was a kid. Maybe that's why I ended up in Arizona.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, the good 'ol days before snowblowers and when people still answered their front door. Nice shot. It looks like the homeowner needs some shoveling assistance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the snowy shot! Quite the businessmen you were.

    ReplyDelete
  9. BC, to be sure the scar remains, although covered strategically by the eyebrow. Stitches not needed. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  10. I knew you were good at shoveling stuff, I just didn't realize it was snow! Heh, heh!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Even today, people need help with shoveling snow after a snow storm. There are lots of elderly people in our area.. Many of them can't shovel their snow anymore. Young people in this area could make lots of money helping the elderly.. BUT--I don't think young people want to work like we used to.... Sad!
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice doorway. I've only had to shovel the driveway once this year. But there are people in the neighborhood who will do it for you for a fee.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah, yes, today's post has memories for me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My brothers used to do the same . . .odd that we no longer see young people out offering to shovel . . . Another great memory, Birdman.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Made you the guy your are!


    Aloha from Waikiki
    Comfort Spiral

    >< } } ( ° >

    ReplyDelete
  16. A pretty door, some steps, and memories come back !Did people pay you well for this hard job?Do you still have a scar above the eye? Does your friend has same memories about that time?Do you share them with hime from time to time?..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your memories serve to awaken similar incidents in others, as so many of the comments indicate. There doesn't seem to be that kind of enterprise working among the kids in our neighborhood, tho. Times really change!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was out shoveling in the 87 degrees we had yesterday, but it wasn't snow!

    ReplyDelete