Monday, February 23, 2015

Bug Snow

Here's a look I've shown before but not in winter. This is Bug Light in the snow on the shore of South Portland looking across the water towards Eastern Promenade. Notice in the distance you can see it's on a hill. The Hill. You make your way up Congress Street to the top of Munjoy Hill. Then Voila! You reach the Prom. At the other end of the city is Western Promenade. It too lies on the top of a hill, overlooking the Fore River and beyond. One city. Two big hills. Bug Light Park is a fine place to sit on a warm day, fly a kite, watch harbor traffic, picnic  or just do a little daydreaming. There are spectacular views too from here of the City of Portland fireworks display on the Fourth of July.
And no, I have no idea where the name Bug Light comes from.
Maybe an infestation of 'no see 'ems'.
Ever heard of them?
You might not want to know.
Slap!
*Research completed. Built in 1875, the light gets its name because of its small size.
I like my story better.
Slap!

23 comments:

  1. I like your story better too... This looks like a beautiful spot

    ReplyDelete
  2. J'adore that bug lighthouse Birdman, even though it's a little height challenged :) very lovely winter scene!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful view! No see 'ems'? Oh yes, I've heard of them and I've experienced them. When my friend David had his cabin up north, I loved to sit on the porch and read. When it was no-see-ems season you just couldn't do it. I had bites everywhere the first time I encountered the little devils.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lighthouse for keepers who prefer not to climb. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, small size is much cuter than no-see-ums. dreadful malady...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a lighthouse with a lot of character. I can just imagine how cold it must be right now to walk out to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The lighthouse is small but elegant . And the view around is great .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photo, beautiful lighthouse, lovely name!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Still an odd name for a light

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maybe it was a Bug that brought all the snow :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm smiling because I like your story better too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the little bug, the snow, the water, the hill but not so much that big building...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wouldn't you think that the kind of snow and chill you're having now would wipe out the no see 'ems? Really! There should be some kind of payoff for your nasty winter!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am familiar with the, "no see ums". They are pesky! I like the lighthouse much better.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hate "no see ums" and I like your story better too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've seen the No see 'ems, and alas, felt them too! Bug Light, my old territory, & I am a bit homesick seeing & reading this post...I used to ride my bike down there a lot...& sketch...My very 1st post in 2012 was my portrait of Bug Light: http://www.sketchbook-wandering.blogspot.com/2012/05/start-of-new-blog.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. How about I just look at this scene from the warmth of a car? Or, better yet, from Florida?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well we need to get to the bottom of this bug light business. I sense you are tired of winter.

    ReplyDelete