Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Hill Tree

This is a tree that's set quite a distance off of Running Hill Road. It caught my eye back a few years, while taking a quick trip to the Maine Mall. Now, I look for it throughout the seasons, when I'm traveling that route headed towards the city. It's most dynamic in autumn and winter as you might imagine. Each time I venture by it in spring, it's bare. It's bare. Then all of a sudden it seems to have exploded. It's hard to catch. In summer, it's almost camouflaged by tall grass and an overwhelming backdrop of the woods. You see, I like the familiar. I think we all do. Those places, faces and memories. They make us feel safe and secure and anchored. I got thinking about this as we all contemplated 'what we would miss most' on our theme day assignment. There are so many small pieces of our worlds, that we pass by each day, that are truly integral in our lives. Some like family, friends, homes, jobs and creative outlets are 'rocks' in our existence. Yet, there are other parts that seem insignificant until we examine the role they play in that jigsaw puzzle that we call US.
Examine your anchors.
You might be surprised.

15 comments:

  1. Ahh...you 've give lots to think about today! I love the tree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's a beauty. i pick out favorite trees in my area, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If that was on a golf course, I could hit it no problem. BTW, you've been in the news of late...just last night we heard about the big storm all the way to Portland, Maine!

    Re your comment on Ocala: Check tomorrow's blog for more on the beer truck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you'll post photos of this tree in a couple of months to show us how it changes.

    It was definitely difficult to choose one thing that I'd miss about my town. I guess a lot of people felt the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It certainly is a pretty tree in that snow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post! There are so many small things that make up one's life and on their own they don't seem like much but the stew they make is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's almost like you and Revrunner collaborated on your photos today! Beautiful shot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful old tree! It's hard to imagine it not dominating the landscape.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Exquisite tree for all seasons, and poignant prose to match.

    Bises,
    Genie

    ReplyDelete
  10. This tree has inspired some philosophical musing, and I enjoyed both.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great tree, a beautiful picture, and some very interesting thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have my favorite trees in different places that I like to check on when I go by.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this tree. It is like Steffe's tree in Haninge, Sweden.

    ReplyDelete