Sunday, February 22, 2015

"Hope...

... springs eternal in the human breast."
-Alexander Pope, An Essay on Man
These words I've always heard quoted about the next upcoming baseball season. Well, at least until Kevin Millar got the Sox players to 'cowboy up' in 2004 and rode that theme all the way to hoisting the World Series Championship trophy. The Red Sox pitchers and catchers reported this past Friday to Fort Myers, Florida to begin another season, while this sculpture, of a family on a July afternoon waiting outside of our Hadlock Field, stands amid another four inches or so of newly fallen snow. Will it ever end? Not winter. I know it will, but what about the snow?
Someday soon, I might just get to see a spring training game.
Until then---
"Hope springs..." in Florida.

16 comments:

  1. This sculpture is not dressed for the weather. Brrr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cannot imagine your snows this year. i'd be hoping for green baseball diamonds, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That family is looking a bit frosty today! Spring training will be starting up out here too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spring training is wonderful! I hope you get there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would think it would be much easier to be optimistic when "Spring training" is in Florida rather than Maine. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Jays are down there as well starting up spring training.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought that phrase was normally used when discussing the Cubs.

    Has anyone done a genetic analysis on the physiques of the people depicted in these statues?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful sculpture and the snow really adds to the beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yesterday it was 80 degrees here and sunny and I remembered why I moved to Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They definitely need some heavy clothing...

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are down here, Birdman, and the newspapers are full of stories about their slightest cough. I usually go to at least one spring training game, but I can't go with the group who I usually go with, and didn't get my own tickets, so maybe this is a year I won't see them in person over at JetBlue Park.

    ReplyDelete