Friday, February 20, 2015

Harbor Chunks

From time to time this month, they've had to run Coast Guard ice cutters up and down various rivers in the state to break up ice jams. The harbor though has stayed pretty much ice free, except near the wharfs, like I showed in yesterday's photograph. My Dad claimed, that once in his youth, it froze over, and you could walk to the nearby islands. I have never seen photographic proof of this, so until I do I'll file this under a 'dad lie'. I do have first hand knowledge of something having to do with ice chunks however. I offer a word of caution at this point. Now, it looked do-able. However, unlike in the cartoons where characters can run across some open water littered with ice chunks, skipping from chunk to chunk and and staying dry until reaching land, this is impossible.
I have first hand proof.
I tried it once and once only.
A smart ass kid of twelve is not quick enough to accomplish it.
I was soon up to my knees in icy swamp water.
So, adults out there...
Forgetaboutit!

16 comments:

  1. Thanks for the advice but, you won't catch me attempting that trick. Bathing in ice water holds no appeal to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. During really cold winters in Haninge the Hårsfjärden Bay will freeze and people can walk over the ice to the nearest isles. On my most recent visit it was open water everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't able to try it myself only for want of sizeable chunks of ice around here...

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I have no problem walking on the Canal ice here, I will not do it on river ice, though there are those who do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll make a note of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Made me remember seeing the James River freeze completely over down near where it meets the Chesapeake Bay and people walking across its five-mile breadth. I wouldn't have believed it either if I hadn't seen it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like really chilly water.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe a Dad 'embellishment' rather than lie?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Phew! I read this just in time! You saved me from a big mistake...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dad's don't lie Birdman, they tell little white fibs :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH NO! That must have been a terrlble experience standing knee deep in icy water!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did that and you lived to tell?!!! I got a good laugh picturing those cartoon characters running via ice chunks! Just think, if the harbor froze, we could be like Hans Brinker & skate over to Peak's! Doesn't Portland have a Polar Bear Club thing where they go out in the water in January or something crazy like that?

    ReplyDelete