Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Sill Art

This little miniature rests on the window sill in our kitchen. It was a gift from J- to Elenka on Mothers' Day a few years back. It's a reproduction of an oil painting (24x36) by Scott Leighton (1849-1898) called "Racing Home Through a Maine Snow Storm". I like it for a couple of reasons. First, I like miniatures a lot. I can't explain the pull; I just do. And growing up on Stevens and Coyle Streets, Mom always had vintage Currier and Ives calendars hanging to mark the passage of our lives. I remember each year the prints had a theme that marked the months. Galloping horses like these, animals, old farmhouses, historical events, scenic vistas, fruits and flower arrangements and others marked the months as they hung in our kitchens. I remember thinking that they showed 'old stuff' and seemed goofy to me. Now, when I see the prints, they make me smile pulling back fond memories.  It's apropos, I think, that this little frame stands next to the kitchen table in our old house today. Thanks J-.
By the way, yes, the 'whiteness' piled up, beyond the glass, behind the frame is a huge pile of snow that waits for melting temperatures.
I can dream. 

15 comments:

  1. "Racing home..." is an appropriate subject for this time of year. I like your phrase "passage of our lives"--also very appropriate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems there is a lot less snow in that painting than there is outside the window.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BOY! You really do have a lot of snow in Portland!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely gift- and yes, that is a whole lot of snow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting that the painting is from Main. With the three horses abreast it looks more like a Russian troika and sled. Don't worry about the snow. June will take care of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good photo, better with your story


    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice gift to both of you, i think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your pic & story! That is mega snow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a lovely piece! It looks pretty sitting there in the window with the snow in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you must enjoy this as much as the recipient.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My mother has a couple of Degas and Manet prints in the living room and a church calendar in the kitchen.

    Someone on NPR this morning described New England this winter as a slow-moving disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just shake my head at all of the snow up there.

    And, yes, you got the ball mark explanation right. I expanded it a bit, just to be a know-it-all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think your miniature print looks perfect there Birdman whatever the weather looks like outside.. I have a fondness for wee things too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think your miniature print looks perfect there Birdman whatever the weather looks like outside.. I have a fondness for wee things too!

    ReplyDelete