Friday, February 27, 2015

Tire Treads

This is kind of funny or maybe not.
Have I mentioned it's snowed a bit here this winter? I thought I had. Ridding snow for a city this size can be a royal pain. When I was a kid and beyond, city trucks would just dump the snow into Back Cove and be done with it. However, recent environmental sanctions have put a damper on that practice. So, what's a city to do? Well, create some new terminology for one thing. Ah, let's call them 'snow farms' or 'snow dumps'. There are a couple now on the outskirts of the city on city owned property. One is near the Portland International Jetport. Portland, as of this week, has recorded north of 88 inches of snow. One 'farm' is situated in a wide expanse of open space, but there's a big problem building. It's near the Jetport. City trucks have lugged away more than 1 million cubic yards of snow and dumped it here. It's grown so high the FAA is now concerned. They fear, that if gets any higher, it could interfere with the taking off and landing of aircraft. The man-made mountain of snow now has reached 40 feet. FAA regulation say that 'jetport mountain' or wall of discarded snow could go up another 16 feet to 56 feet and be acceptable, but that it would create hazardous manuvering conditions for bulldozer operators on the 'mountain'. So other places have been found to dump the snow. Other mountains could soo be 'building'. Heck, it not even March yet. Driving by the Jetport each spring, I always keep note of how long the pile lasts. 
No kidding, usually there are remnants still around in June.
See, up here there still often is snow in June.
This year let's hope not in July though.
That would not be a good sign at all.
Don't tread on me.

16 comments:

  1. If I didn't know any better, I would believe that our backyard is a snow farm as well. Not quite hampering flights, but close.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A pile of dirty snow almost 20-meter high? Please, show that to us, snow-deprived creatures...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been hearing on the news that it has became a problem for many eastern cities especially Boston. Crazy weather!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes!! I think we have a little less up here, but there is also more space...I heard some one say recently: "Let's hope that it doesn't all melt at once". I, myself, am loving it, but I did have to have my car towed up a hill while in the woods the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's the problem in a city - where to put the snow! Let's hope for above freezing temps soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had one such snow dump near the old tree a few years ago. On a farmers field. It turned out to be much more than just snow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are places here where it's disposed, including an old quarry in a neighbourhood where I lived for a few months. By winter's end, the pile would be higher than the quarry walls.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is simply unreal...except that it isn't. Too bad it just can't be barged to California. They could use any kind of precipitation about now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are your relatives polar bears. Way too cold for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fascinating! You know I've not really thought there would be a problem with snow, I always just thought it would snow, then it would melt etc. etc. You can so tell I'm from a country that has no snow :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Snow farms? Snow dumps? Really?! Interesting. That's definitely a new concept since I left the great white north.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Back in CT and MA, I remember snow piles remaining in my yard until May, but July? Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. While driving around Nashua, NH in recent weeks, I have noticed that many shopping areas seem to have designated snow dump areas.

    ReplyDelete