Saturday, February 7, 2015

Cove Ice

Today's image is of an iced over Back Cove. The light snow distorts the buildings on the far shore. I remember this scene from high school days looking out the large window seat on the second floor. How's your memory? Mine pretty good when I want it to be. I recall a late July afternoon driving along Baxter Boulevard and coming across a couple of ladies in a white Mercedes in distress. The rear passenger tire looked to be going flat. It was a rented car, and they were at wits end about what to do, as they had an important dinner function to attend in Brunswick that evening. I told them I thought I could do the job and commenced getting the jack and equipment out of the trunk. While I worked, they stood off to the side in stylish dresses, smoking cigarettes and sharing fits of high-pitched laughter. When I finished, the driver and taller of the two handed me a twenty dollar bill. It was then that I realized I knew her: that distinctive face, the perfectly coiffured hair and those large round sunglasses. Yes, it was her. I had read in the paper that she was visiting Maine for a week or so. I had seen so many photographs of this stunning woman in magazines and newspapers. It was Jackie O. Jackie Kennedy Onassis. Yes indeed. We all have them... our brushes with fame. Mine occurred in 1969 on a warm afternoon close by this scene in today's picture. Now if you did the research, you might discover that the lady in question was sailing aboard her husband's yacht off some Greek isle at the time.
No matter.
Hey, it was many years ago.
It did happen.
I think it happened.
It had to happen.
Perhaps I've been caught in the 'fog of war'.
This seems a perfect example of maybe a false memory.
Perhaps I've disremembered it.
Hey, Brian Williams hasn't secured the market on this stuff.
Isn't everybody a bit of a liar?

They were nice sunglasses though.

20 comments:

  1. First of all that is a scary winter scene. Secondly, we all tend to remember and to see what we want to see. Just ask Brian Williams!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good God. Good thing I read the entire post. I was this close to marching into the other room where you are and giving you a thing or two about not telling me you met Jackie O!! Whew.

    Birdman is like a box of chocolates....you never know what you're going to get.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A strange encounter, if it ever happened! I am still not sure of this...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your story reminded me of a strange dream I had just last night. But, Elenka's comment made me laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One expects Mr. Williams to say, "....and then there was the time I beat Paul Bunyan in an arm wrestle contest..."

    ReplyDelete
  6. True or not , the story is beautiful . And so is the place you're showing , so magical ..

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had me fooled there for a few seconds!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elenka's not the only one you had going for a minute! Hey, I'm thinking why didn't Dad tell us that one! I had all kinds of ideas about how this one ends!

    Lakeland Checks In at a balmy 72

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whatever, I like the thought. And I love the view.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks very, very cold out there...and it sounds like a good case of cabin fever inside.
    I've had some memorable brushes with the rich and famous. Then, regrettably, I woke up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a lot of ice ! Maybe your brush with the famous is still to come.. Heidi perhaps :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a lot of ice ! Maybe your brush with the famous is still to come.. Heidi perhaps :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am sure you are right. It was Jackie O. I was there, too, and I saw her.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's amazing how our imaginations sometimes get mixed in with our memories!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How does that go:? Real, but not true...or is it true, but not real...We need good stories this time of year!!

    ReplyDelete