Saturday, February 21, 2015

Woodshed Snow

I'm going out on a limb today.
Yes, I've been out here quite a few times in my life. Sometimes with good results. Sometimes not so much. Get ready. I'm budding with an air of confidence too. I'm going to make a prognostication with some guessing and prophesying thrown in for good measure. We've lived in our place since 1977, and I haven't kept a running tab year to year on snowfall accumulations. Weather forecasters do, but as a rule I don't hold to much stock in them. At the end of each winter, they'll do a tally sheet for the area. So many inches here, so many inches there. Usually, in the course of my winter duties, I'll take a step back the end of February and say something like this, "Whoa, that's a lot of snow, or it's been a pretty mild one." Ok, here I go out on the limb. We have never had snow piled in the yard the way we do this year. The road in front of the house has snow piled as high as I've ever seen it. I stopped counting at 85 inches and that's not including the 6 inches this week and the 3-6 due tonight. I mentioned this to Elenka yesterday. I think I can say with assured certainty that this is the 'snowiest wintah' in our neck of the woods that we've experienced... and maybe the coldest too.
In the past, old timers would say, "This ain't anything like that winter of '47."
I think after this winter we can safely say, "Oh yes it is!"
And another thing.
I have snow drifted into my woodshed this year.
Never happened to this degree before.
Truth be told.
It might have been, because I ripped part of cover tarp away when I ran over it with the snowblower.
Not proud of that fact.

21 comments:

  1. Looks like you prepared well for this wintah, Birdman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh oh, I see the rust coming on the axe. But seriously, you have my sympathy for all that cold and too much snow. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i completely believe you on the snowiest wintah just based on what i've seen on national news. holy moly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd take that bet with you! From what I've been hearing, this has been a winter for the record books out your way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Running over things hidden in snow is a very popular pastime in my area.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You certainly have been buried in snow this winter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh boy...it's cold there indeed!
    Take care and stay warm.
    Hugs to you and Elenka
    Leia

    ReplyDelete
  8. I trust more your judgement than all the weather forecasters in the world, but be more careful with that snowblower!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Images of Birdman riding wild on the back of an out-of-control snowblower are suddenly coming to mind. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are on target to have the coldest February ever here but luckily we haven't been hit with all the snow you have had! April please hurry up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So what do you do now? Use a hairdryer?

    ReplyDelete
  12. At least you have a snowblower. Hope your entire wood stack is not too damp now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The handle of that axe has the smooth patina of a well used tool.
    "Yup. Winter of '15 was one for the record books. Worst ever." Trust Birdman.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish I could have some of that snow. I'd trade it for all the sub-zero days and windchill extremes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So, seriously . . . it will all have to go . . . somewhere. Let's hope it doesn't all melt at once . . . xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. This too shall pass. As always, love your musings and your photo!

    Janis
    GDP

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haha! I got the very same image as Revrunner :) Hang in there Birdman, it will all be just a memory soon I'm sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Up Bangor way they were comparing this winter to the winter of '69. I am one of those who loves this. No ice or freezing rain, powdery snow for cross country skiing...Paradise...a cold one, but paradise!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have another week in February, and you already have beaten most past records. You can take that bet to the bank.

    ReplyDelete