Thursday, February 26, 2015

Sparto

The tanker Sparto is docked unloading crude oil in South Portland. The ship and crew certainly have a grand view of the snow-covered city in the distance. When I was in high school, my friend Peter's dad was a captain who pushed barges up and down the East coast for oil companies. Away for months at a time, there was a time where I thought this life style might suit me. There was a draw. There was adventure. Year round, it was that routine of work a couple of months, off a couple of months. Workers on these tankers certainly see the world, but like with every job the glamor and intrigue evident on the outside only masks the underbelly of hard work, menial tasks and boredom of your days.
A few years ago, a friend of mine had a sign on his math room wall...
"If it's fun; it ain't work."
Somedays, I might agree with this.

17 comments:

  1. Must be very long days on those ship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had some of those same thoughts about trains. My grandfather used to work on the railroad and the stories he would tell were so exciting to me. Of course being a girl, working on the railroad was never going to happen. Hmmm...makes me wonder how many women work on the railroad today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's interesting to look back on what we once thought would be a great job. Our ideas change a lot as we grow older.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like your photo. That ship looks nearly empty as it is quite high in the water. No, a sailor's life has its down side. Love the quote, but every career has aspects that are no fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The "fun factor" always depends on the people I work with. I seek out those with a good sense of humor. This harbor image really captures winter in Portland Harbor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your friend is probably right...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything becomes work at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our ideas do change over time, and yes, there is that down side to a life at sea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a nice photo today. I can't say I was ever tempted to earn a living on a vessel. Offices are cleaner and climate-controlled. (And the pay is better.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some work can be fun, but since I've retired I'm glad I don't have to do it anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I disagree! Some work is fun....not all of it! lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with Michelle. Nice shot too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. One of those ideas along the same lines as 'running away to join the circus' hey Birdman :) lots of snow still I see!

    ReplyDelete
  14. One of those ideas along the same lines as 'running away to join the circus' hey Birdman :) lots of snow still I see!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had the opportunity to travel on those kinds of boats ;One of the best times of my life!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Big. Need lots of petrol. We do. Humans.

    ReplyDelete