Thursday, December 25, 2014

Baby Bird

Baby's First Christmas...
Some gifts listed in my blue baby book.
Teddy Bear- Mom and Daddy
Shoe Bank and coins- Aunt Bea and Dool
Hand-Knit mittens and socks- Aunt Beverly
White Stockings- Aunt Leona and Uncle Ed
Sleigh and pajamas- Nana and Grampa Gallant
Hand Knit Brown & Yellow Suit- Aunt Mimi
Bicycle Toys- Grampa Norton
Porcelain Section Plate- Aunt Gloria
Lots of people gave me crisp $1 bills.
The only presents that I have a memory of are the big white sleigh that my grandfather constructed in his workshop and that Mom and Dad pushed around all the kids in and that shoe bank. I have a faint recollection of trying to 'get to the bottom' of it in my parents bedroom. No damage done; I was caught red-handed. Remember: when youngsters are left alone and everything seems way too quiet, some mischief is usually at the root of the silence. This tree was standing in my grandparents' house at 250 Main Street, Westbrook. No kid should be allowed to have the wonderful life-long memories that I had in every single room of this cape. I've often commented on that I'm not a gambling man, and I usually don't get to play the 'lucky card'. But when I ended up with Albert and Josephine as grandparents, I broke the bank!
Little did I know, lying on a comfy white blanket in Nana's favorite chair, how lucky those early years would be for me.
Lucky guy!

Last night, the Eve, has become bittersweet. I lost my Dad 16 years ago last night.

Merry Christmas to all!

14 comments:

  1. Yup, you are a lucky guy. Have another very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous post.

    Joyeux Noël Birdman et famille !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post! Brings back memories of Christmas Eve at my grandparent's home. That was always a tradition. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that old photo. Merry Christmas Birdman.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so cute. blessings to you and elenka!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aah these walks down memory lane can get emotionally draining

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry Christmas to you! A very poignant post today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How sweet to have great, vivid memories like that. I hope you're making more good ones today. And I hope the knee's on the mend.
    (It's hard to lose loved ones around the holidays. My mom lasted 'til Jan. 3rd but Christmas is tinged with sadness as it was our last happy day spent together.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Even sixteen years on, we still miss a parent who's passed away, but I can imagine how much more of an impact it is if it happens at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A baby book? Wow, you must have been the apple of their eye. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Baby Bird, You are a lucky guy & a grateful lucky guy too. Yes, memories can be sweet & poignant...Warm, colorful wishes to you & Elenka!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great photo and I loved reading about your first Christmas. I think adult Christmases are all bittersweet as we lose loved ones. My Mother's birthday was the 21st. I know that it is supposed to be a religious holiday but to me it is more a family holiday. If that makes any sense.

    ReplyDelete