Friday, December 12, 2014

Going Down

Going down?
And we were, as we began our decent back to the first floor in the Victorian Mansion last week. There was a time I would have loved to just hop on these slippery, wooden balustrades and take the quick trip down instead of taking the lazy man's way. Our house on Coyle Street had a quite wide expanse of a front stairway. Nothing as elaborate as this though. It did have a large window seat, that in the winter when the trees were devoid of leaves, allowed you to lookout over Back Bay. I never tried to 'ride the banister' there, however the railing on Stevens Avenue wasn't so lucky. There were lots of trips down to our music room 'on wood' in that house. We lived there from the time I started third grade until I was a sophomore in high school, and in those early years my weight, age and the sturdy rails were a lethal combination. 
Of course, if Mom caught me I was in trouble.
But I picked my spots.
I wasn't crazy.
Going down?
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee! 

20 comments:

  1. Sliding down the banister sounds like more fun than vacuuming that carpet. Just saying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These steps look a bit steep at this angle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, those bannisters do look inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always wanted to try that and never did! Love that gorgeous carpet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a rather elegant staircase. I used to ride the bannisters, too, but found on occasion that was not a smart thing to do. I like the idea of your decent descent. Heh, heh, heh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lowell, you have to be careful when reaching the bottom... guys anyway. Ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. we had a steep, narrow-stepped, staircase in our old farm house that every one of us fell down at one point or another - no railings, just walls on both sides. i chose to fall down the cement basement steps, myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember one of my cousins would regularly ride down the stairs at his family home on his stomach.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never tried it Birdman, but it always looks like so much fun when i see it in the movies :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. A staircase from Paradise
    I'm at http://visualnorway.wordpress.com/ (Blogger is giving me problem commenting)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have to watch out for the post at the bottom!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A long time has passed since my last banister ride, and RedPat is right: the post at the bottom was a problem!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't even want to think about the painful and abrupt ending on reaching the bottom!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've tried it once, not a great experience.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, you should go back and see if you still have it to ride the bannister!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd prefer to go down this marvel dressed in a beautiful long gown, with an handsome man beside me holding my arm!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like your shot. The decor looks very baroque. Baroque? I don't know eras and styles that well but I like the word: baroque. Sounds like something an energetic toad would say. And I can't remember the last banister I rode. But I do know that it was a very ladylike sidesaddle mount.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yeah, with my knees at the mo, I'd probably be doing just that, wheeeeeee...

    ReplyDelete