Sunday, December 21, 2014

In Out

Coming in and going out.
These are the outer doors at the Portland Museum of Art looking out at some of the holiday lights at Congress Square. These doors were easy to negotiate compared to what I'm trying to do today. Yesterday, while walking doing a few errands, I began to feel some sensitivity in my left knee. That evening I had to apply ice to the outer edge of my knee. By 10 PM, I was in some serious throbbing pain. I couldn't straighten my knee out. I sat up all night and entertained myself with the tube. I think I probably slept a few 15 minutes intervals. That's about it. In and now out.
Elenka drove me into QuickCare at Maine Medical at 9 this morning. We just got home. I've been diagnosed  with Patellofemoral Arthralgia of the left kneen. 
That's a mouthful. 
Let me simplify.
I have a swelling of the knee!
I could have never opened this door today.
No balance.
Now the good news.
I'm on some pretty hefty painkillers.
I hope to feel nothing soon.


16 comments:

  1. oh, dear! hope it gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! That's not a nice holiday surprise. I do hope this condition is a passing thing and that it will be over soon. Meanwhile it might be interesting to see your next blog posts under the influence of those pain killers.
    Sei gesund, Birdman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looked it up. You're going to die. Nah, just kidding. But it appears to be the result of overuse. Have you been secretly running around town, or jumping on a trampoline, or been on your knee praying a lot? Well, I think we can eliminate the last one.

    Seriously, try to stay medicated. Make sure Elena meets your every need. You'll probably be fine with a little rest and TLC. After 30 days, though, you might want to show some signs of improvement or some folks might become suspicious you're faking it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting--I just read this about the condition: "Patellofemoral arthralgia is common in people who regularly engage in competitive or recreational activities. It is most common in adolescents and young adults."

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is Down East for "your knee hurts," isn't it? Lousy time of the year for this to happen. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you can somehow enjoy a good book while fighting off the pain. Take good care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like you have been doing too much work around the house since the retirement. Hope it heals before the heavy snow comes! Be well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sending You love and prayer to feel better!


    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral
    <3
    Christmas Flute [me playing] https://soundcloud.com/icloudia/holidays

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ouch! I've been on painkillers for the odd bad scrape, and I don't like how foggy it leaves the mind. I hope things improve quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ouch, not good. Feel better soon, oh what am I saying you'll feel nothing soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wait, wait, not so fast. Not nothing. I've had clients go down that path. Your knee hurts like hell but it will get better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Take care! Been there a few times...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Owww! Sounds like Nature's way of telling you it's time to hang out, read a good book, have some eggnog, and raise a tender knee in stationery salute.

    ReplyDelete