Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Fish Heads

There used to be a pretty good seafood restaurant off of Commercial Street called The Holy Mackerel. It's gone now. Financial issues, I hear, took it under. I'm sure, if it was still in operation, gulls like this would be hanging around it all day too. You see seagulls have never met a french fry, a sandwich of any persuasion, seafood or not, roadkill or any example of edible trash that they didn't like and 'take care of'. They are pretty much scavengers and for the most part steer clear of people. That's good thing, because I wouldn't want to come between a gull and lunch. They can be pretty aggressive. These fish heads strew along Custom House Wharf would attest to that and be my Exhibit A.
I sat and watched them for a spell the other morning.
It was kind of disgusting, really. (I wouldn't enlarge this, if I were you).
Pick, pick, pick.
It was too early for lunch for me.
Good thing too.
There is no way I'd get a lobster roll down after watching this episode.
Life on the wharves... every gull for himself.
The heads have it!

15 comments:

  1. The gull in the foreground looks pretty territorial, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. at least they have food sources for them - no wasted parts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I go to California, I love to watch them scavenging on the beach and pecking at little bits in the sand. Luckily, I haven't seen them fighting over fish heads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me thinks you're writing for the gullible! These birds are so nice and so much fun! Just because they poop everywhere and leave old dirty feathers laying around...actually, I've had gulls swoop down and take food right out of my hand. I like pelicans better, though they get really pushy, too, when it comes to food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, they can be agressive and I bet that one was making a lot of noise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Birdman! It WAS my lunch hour. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The gulls seem to be everywhere here these days - store parking lots, parks, etc and then you see them flying back to Lake Ontario at night.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In a recent animated movie, flocks of gulls are shouting 'Mine! Mine! Mine!' and now whenever I see and hear them, that's what they sound like to me. . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. So, fisherman just toss fish heads onto the wharf? Good thing there are gulls to clean them up. Think you are right not to get too close to the feisty gulls.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also had a gull post within the past week. Great minds . . .

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seagulls are kind of rats with wings in my book.

    ReplyDelete