Saturday, December 6, 2014

Up Stairway

Up the stairs.
Down the stairs.
I do believe there used to be a restaurant at the top of these stairs back a bunch of years. These days there are a few shops up there. One looks to be a photography gallery. Photos lining the stairs? This is an interesting advertising ploy, if you ask me. Well, you really can't blame them. If you pay rent for one of these high-priced shops, you need to make some big money over these five weeks between turkey and Santa. The adage 'any port in a storm' almost works here, especially if your store is not the walk-in variety, right off the street. Having to journey up these steps would offer that extra challenge to sell your wares.
Luckily, I don't have the pressure to make rent in a downtown shop this time of year.
I can just walk and take-in what I want.
I did not venture up these stairs.
Case in point.

18 comments:

  1. There's a story here, I do believe. Oh, wait, it's been done before. "Up the Down Staircase"! I agree that this is not the best location to sell one's goods. Lots of old folks might have a problem negotiating those stairs. I'm not calling you old, though.

    BTW, I dedicated today's Ocala post to thou!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, that would be tough to draw in folk off the street!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The entryway is really quite inviting with the color and the decorative touches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't believe you didn't investigate the photo gallery. Never know what you'll find at the top of the stairs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure a shop up a flight of stairs is such a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Up or down... I love the doorway! It's RED! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it looks inviting but I don't mind climbing stairs...yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I would have definitely climbed those stairs Birdman.. curiosity would have gotten the better of me :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have no problem with stairs, of course, but there can be quite a lot of people for whom it would be problematic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Entryway is enticing, but, like you, I probably would not have climbed the stairs . . .

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have seen this...but never ventured up either...I like how you empathize with the tenants/artists...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel for merchants trying to make a buck in a second floor location.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's unusual but would certainly draw me in!

    ReplyDelete
  14. People seem to have to be able to look inside before venturing in to a place most of the time. I hope they survive!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd follow those photos upstairs--like mice after cheese. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You know the slogan about commercial real estate: location, location, location. I wouldn't rent an upstairs store location. Well, maybe if I were in Japan, where everything is stacked vertically.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, dear! I hadn't thought how lazy I am until I was agreeing that I'd probably not head up those stairs. There are a couple of shops like this in Port Townsend, a beautiful old Victorian town about an hour from here. I really had to stir myself to explore one of the second floors.

    ReplyDelete