Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Chains

It doesn't look like much on an early Sunday morning, but the wharves in this port city provide few parking spots and lots of activity on a working day. While in high school, the 'fish factory' a local fish processing plant, provided working opportunities for guys and gals. I was too young to work at the time, but Leo took a chance. Pretty good money, but with a couple of downsides. The aroma was strong and followed you for days. Similar to a couple of older guys living in the six-links apartments nearby. They were painters by day and had a terrifically hard time eliminating the smell of paint and turpentine from their skin and clothes. 
The second drawback to working at the fish factory?
Every feline in the neighborhood followed you for days.
Meow!

17 comments:

  1. On the other hand, there are some definite downsides for fish at fish factories, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dunno, BM. This tale sounds kinda fishy to me. It would probably be a good place to work for cat lovers, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah the smell of paint.. beats the alternative for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rather be followed by felines of a different species, I'd bet!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I worked for a while close to our fish market and I understand perfectly what you mean...

    ReplyDelete
  6. These drawbacks to labor jobs seem like an excellent reasons to learn to type, or as they say today, word process. Great photo with the boats "parked" next to the lot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember working at a roofing plant for a couple of summers in high school. The first year was security, which I liked. The second was maintenance, which ended with me spending three days scraping tar out of a tar pit. I've despised the smell of roofing tar ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very festive & colorful looking photo you've made here. Your fish story however, paints a whole other picture! Lol...
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm grateful my DH got commercial fishing out of his system before we met. He, too, used to be followed by cats.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great shot! Nothing like the smell of a fish market, as long as you don't bring it home with you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, but you were by definition one of the cool cats.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't stand the smell of fish... I think the factory would be out for me!
    I love how you take an ordinary photo and make it into a great story.

    ReplyDelete