Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Reception Room

The spirit of Christmas is among us.
On Saturday Elenka and I took a little trip to "100 Years Past". We visited the Victorian Mansion on Danforth Street in all its holiday grandeur. The stately home, decked out for the holiday season, was completed in 1860 as the summer home of Mr. Ruggles Morse and his family. He made his fortune in hotels in Boston, New Orleans and New York. He died in 1893 and the home and its contents were sold to local merchant Joseph Ralph Libby. His family lived here for over 30 years without making any major changes to the house and its contents. The home was rescued from demolition in 1941 by William H. Holmes, who opened it as the Victorian Mansion, in a tribute to British Queen Victoria. What we are looking at here is the Reception Room, which is the first room you enter to the right of the main staircase. Most days I'm really not into white Christmas trees but this one was quite beautiful. Every decoration loaded on this tree seemed to give the impression of some sort of  snow-covered dream. All of the rooms on the first and second floors are open, overly decorated for Christmas and instill the holiday spirit of the times.
It was a inspiring trip back 100 years.
Sort of dream-like.
"Mr. and Mrs. Birdman here to see Mr. Ruggles Morse and his wife Olive, please."

23 comments:

  1. A bit too much for my taste. But if that Christmas gift is for me, why not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only dream of a tree that looks like that; mine are merely poor imitations. The tour sounds like a great holiday treat. Tea and crumpets, Sir Birdman?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can dream and I can dream. 'Tis is a splendid tree, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fancy-schmancy! It's good that the mansion was saved from demolition so we living on "the other side of the tracks" can see how wealthy Victorians lived.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a spectacular Christmas tree.

    ReplyDelete
  6. quite proper. :)

    (as for whistler photos, i have about 100 squabbling right outside my window this morning - and most mornings - so no waiting around for photos. just need to look up...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. They really did it lavishly "in the Good Old Days"!

    ReplyDelete
  8. the tree is fabulous , and the place very inspiring !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely tree and a fascinating slice of history.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It does look lovely Birdman, most times I'm not into white Christmas trees either but they are much better than purple decorations :) they sure did 'lavish' in a big way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's quite a lovely tree. And Ruggles is quite an unusual choice for a first name!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The white tree seems to suit those beautiful surroundings! I wish I had one of those old silver aluminum trees from the 50s.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh now why didn't you tell me? I'd have come too. (I know I'm rude, I invite myself).

    ReplyDelete
  14. The tree is truly glorious...and the room itself reminds me of Napoleon's apartment in the Louvre. Grandeur indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks very grand and festive. I'm glad it was saved from demolition!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Enchanting . . . thanks for taking us along . . .

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely, and I know that the Morses would have gladly and graciously received you both!

    Bises,
    Genie

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like those kinds of fancy trees for a place like this. But honestly, I wouldn't want it in my home... I like something more simple.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very, very nice. I like visiting historic houses during the holidays. This place would have been good to see. I will be back in Naples tonight if the planes are on time. Maybe next week . . . .

    ReplyDelete