Thursday, December 4, 2014

Burger Joint

I can commit sin.
Does the fact that cattle is classified as 'grass-fed beef' make a difference when I'm face to face with a double-decker cheese burger with a couple of slices of bacon, onions, lettuce, tomato with relish or mayo topping it off. What? Do you think I'm crazy? The temptation is too severe. I'll visit my local confessional, do my penance and deal with the guilt. This is a slice of one of our Elevation Burger establishments around the city. This one, with its rounded front, sits on Commercial Street. We visited it last winter, when it was the Farmer's Table, a full service restaurant not just a burger joint. Our meals were fine. I guess it just wasn't getting the traffic in the door needed to survive. As for this place, I've never sat down to sample its fare. I've never eaten at Red Robin either. We have one of these in the Mall area. I'm intrigued to sample one of their 'gourmet burgers' though. Their online menu looks delicious! Now, unlike these two places, I have eaten a couple of times at Five Guys. I've stopped on the run for cheese burgers. They were greasy, and the burgers slid off the roll repeatedly, but they were scrumptious! I'm cautioned often, by a close and personal friend, about how meals like this are not good for me, and my comeback is always the same. It's not like I'm sitting down across from one of these everyday. Fried food(see clams), anything that even resembles fettuccine alfredo and these greasy burgers, when I'm EVEN just glancing at these on a menu, elicit the same response from my 'food cop'. 
"Are you kidding me?"
Thanks to her, what goes into my body is good for me.
My diet is extremely nutritious.
That's a very good thing.
But can't I just sin a bit?
No? 
I didn't think so.

18 comments:

  1. Sin is a religious concept and has little or no meaning in the culinary world. Pain, however, is something else and eating greasy crappy foods can bring you a lot of pain and it is best, therefore, to obey your "food cop." I'm leaving now - breakfast awaits: fried eggs, bacon and bagel. Yeah, I know. But do as I say...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, swore off that food a long time ago in favor of more nutritious fare. I still fall off the wagon occasionally, though, as when I'm faced with a bowl of salsa and a basket of chips. :-0

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh, i like five guys, too! have to drive an hour to get to one, though (which is good). there's actually a place in town that does an elvis burger that is delicious! double cheeseburger, bacon, mayo and tons of grilled onions. mmmm, mmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not so fond either of this kind of food, but sometimes I like to sin...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes you just have to sin a bit! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Burgers are becoming a big thing here in Berlin. I don't eat meat though. And I don't like veggie burgers made with soy, they have to be real veggies for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A little sin now and then is a good thing!

    The proverbial devil and angel on my shoulders agree with each other far too often.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's nothing like a homemade burger with healthy ingredients and no added fat... Would that be a sin?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am not a meat eater but I say go for it Birdman. Do what makes you happy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All things in moderation...including moderation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Let he (or she) who is without sin cast the first stone.

    Mrs. C watches our nutrition needs, too, We don't eat much red meat. We went into a Five Guys in Philly once. I thought I was going to need dish detergent to get all of it out of me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A little bit of sin is the spice of life

    ReplyDelete
  13. Moderation in all things is in itself excessive is my motto. I love five guys and red robin and smash burger and and and

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sure, you can sin a bit, but there are sin options apart from greasy hamburgers . . .

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nothing wrong with a little sin between friends!!

    ReplyDelete