Saturday, December 27, 2014

Mistake

Mistake.
Ever make one?
I did last week. I told Elenka I wanted to go to the PMA (Portland Museum of Art) and photograph the Christmas tree with the ornament designed by Christo. I seemed to recall that the tree was a permanent piece of the museum with various ornaments decorated by artists. I've always enjoyed his art, and still kick myself today that I didn't travel to NYC for his "Gates" installation in Central Park. And then to top it all off, it snowed and rendered some fabulous images of his orange curtains amid snow. Ouch! There I just kicked myself. A highlight for me in art was going to Merrill Auditorium about 10 years ago for a talk and slideshow by Christo and his wife Jeanne-Claude featuring many of their world famous installations. Quite cool! Back to the tree that I called 'Christo's tree' simply for the fact that it had a 'wrapped' ornament by the artist along with many others who contributed. Entering the museum, I went right to the information desk and told the gal that we just wanted to check out the 'Christo tree' and then go to the museum shop. She said something that, a bit garbled, resembled "fine" and pointed us off towards the large hall. Driving into town, I seem to recall Elenka remarking that she thought that the tree was a piece of a traveling exhibit, while I was sure it was among the permanent pieces that the museum puts on display each holiday season. 
Long story short. 
Elenka was right... again. 
Chalk up another error for me.
I'm mistake prone at times.
The museum shop (back left) was nice though.

21 comments:

  1. I make mistakes every now and then, but I try not to tell anyone. Nice boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I like it. It resembles a big, disected snowflake, lying in pieces in a field somewhere, perhaps on one of the Orange Curtains.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, there's a lesson you can take from this: Elenka is always right!

    Interesting shot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought all those "boxes" were presents you didn't get off in time for Xmas.

    Re your comment on Ocala: Me, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't worry, it happens fairly often here too... Nice boxes, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Miss Take?" Who's that?


    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. A young family friend was in NYC for the Gates in the snow and the pics she took were fabulous! I love his work too. Sorry about your Miss Take. ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  8. In my book, a trip to the art museum is never a mistake. There is always something to see and it appears you found it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Christo also wrapped the Reichstag. :)
    This installation reminds me of how my new apartment looks at the moment - filled with boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You sure they didn't hide the Christo ornaments in one of those boxes?
    At least you got inside the museum. That's a good thing.
    The last time DH and I drove to San Francisco (50 miles each way) we arrived at the SF MOMA on the one weekday it was closed. And we made the same trek to go to the Palace of the Legion of Honor for an Impressionist exhibit only to find no parking for miles...I had a broken ankle...

    ReplyDelete
  11. All those boxes look a bit like my living room on Christmas morning. Like Christo's work. Sure is eye grabbing. Not sure what this Christmas tree would look like, but it would be endless.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What did you pick up at the museum?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like his work too. My niece had a wonderful opportunity to dine with he and his wife. I will never forget her excitment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, you are a good man to admit you were wrong! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cool! I love Christo's work too although I've never seen any in person...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Never saw that tree, or the NYC art, pout...I do like those geometric sculptures, first saw the "falling columns" outside the Farnsworth. Delightful for observing, photographing or drawing from different vantage points...the sculpture is immobile but has so much movement!!

    ReplyDelete