Sunday, December 14, 2014

Stragglers

Do you straggle?
I try not to.
However, sometimes I sin.
There are stragglers in this world.
Similar to these few remaining leaves, reminders of a summer past, they cling hoping against hope that they might hold on. I really don't like to drag myself in 'after the dance has started'. I'm an early bird when it comes to most aspect of my life, up early, at my desk with coffee before the masses, at meetings on time. However, when I'm in the partying mood, I'm a strong advocate of arriving a bit on the side of being 'fashionable late'. When I have a get-to-gether, I do not want to meet and greet all 15 of the revelers at once, especially if there has been some distance since our last meeting. I'm not talking laziness here. That's an entirely different animal. Always getting a late start and dragging yourself in or around your world, not a good attribute. 
So if I arrive late, don't roll your eyes.
It won't happen again.
Have you noticed?
It's never the same leaves.

16 comments:

  1. Waiting for the next great wind to go surfing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to straggle when on tours much to the consternation of the guides. They are always saying "come along, stay together" but, I still straggle looking at things. I guess that's why I rarely go on tours except when that is the only way to see a place. I like to take my time and take it all in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost always arrive early for meetings but when I'm taking photos I'm a straggler.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you now counting and categorizing leaves? Maybe you should un-retire? :)

    I need to clarify something, though: "Sin" is a theological concept that has no meaning in the real world. "Straggle" is a predeliction to futz around. That's not a sin and it won't send you to the netherworld. But sometimes it pisses people off. That's is close to a sin as you probably want to get!! Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i dawdle only when i'm trying to drive and find things to photograph (like fences and animals.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Easy to agree about everything you wrote!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always early for meetings etc!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I'm meeting someone 'out' I'm always on time, but if I know they'll be waiting in the comfort of their own home, I have been known to be, like yourself, fashionably late :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Went to a party last night. Arrived "fashionable late." I'm just waiting for the days to start getting longer. Haven't seen the sun in weeks with our clouds and fog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm ashamed to admit I'm usually early which is a big no no in Paris...

    (Re. the crèche: no, not quite life size).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I tend to be on time. I think that comes from my grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always arrive a couple of minutes early. A habit. To be early is to be on time, to be on time is to be late.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful photo, starkly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this shot. You right, it is never the same ones.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Appointments and events? On time! The rest of my life? No deadlines and luxurious dawdling, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am not a straggler. Being a native New Yorker, I am usually in a hurry and, as a lawyer, peppered with deadlines. It would be nice if that could change.

    ReplyDelete